Loss of a breast is a traumatizing event for a woman. From the diagnosis of breast malignancy to eventual removal of breast is a heart wrecking event for them. With advances in reconstructive surgery this dilemma can be removed with either immediate or delayed reconstruction. Some young girls are also troubled with congenitally absent breasts and the same techniques are offered too.
A detailed evaluation is undertaken before Dr Omar reaches a common ground with his patients. Timing and technique of reconstruction is decided and procedure is scheduled after clearance of patient by anesthesia team for surgery.
Usually following techniques are utilized for breast reconstruction:
1. Autologous: flap used from ones own body to reconstruct the breast
2. Autologous with implant: Flap in combination with implant is used.
A variety of flaps are used for this purpose
1. Latissimus Dorsi flap: muscle taken from back together with some skin. It is iseal in thin lean women but requires an implant for more projection in heavier women.
2. Rectus Abdominis flap and its variants: these can be taken from lower abdomen and can be used as free or pedicled flaps to reconstruct the breast. It is ideal in bulky patients with larger sized breasts to match. Its only downside is that it is not preferred in women who are not marroed or completed their families yet.
3. Other flaps including Anterolateral thigh flap, gluteal artery perforator flap etc.
Either microscopic free tissue transfer is used or the flap is transferred without detaching and re anastomosing the pedicle. Choice of flap and the technique depende upon the requirement, availability of flaps and the long term management of the disease.
The procedure is performed in general anesthesia.
Yes it is completely safe. It doesn’t cause cancer and does not interfere with cancer detection in cases of recurrence.
It depends upon the technique used. But approximately it can last anywhere between 4 – 8 hours.
The cost ranges from 200,000 to 500,000 PKR.
For more information, book an appointment with Dr Omar today by calling on 03004111418 or through whatsapp. Online advice is totally free.